Soooo after the 2021 Snow-Apocalypse in Texas, I decided to share some “things” I learned, some “things” I have added to the list to buy … soooo that hopefully any future “Texas-Sized” Winter Storms are no problem! I know lots of my friends live in northern states where Snow and Super-Cold Winters are normal … but just to put it in perspective, we often get to mid-December still wearing shorts and flip-flops!
I remember during the storm jotting down a list of: (1) things I realized I should have done (2) things I should have purchased or (3) things I wanted to do “in the future”.
I also remember being grateful that we never lost power, but our water heater (in our attic!) did burst and led to a mini house remodel!
Soooo that entire week, we did not have Hot Water and our Septic Lines were frozen … soooo we used water VERY carefully for 7 days!
- Animal Feed to Stock (Chickens, Rabbits, Dogs)
- cover Outdoor Hose Faucets
- empty Septic Tank
- turn off Septic Pump Motor (so it doesn’t burn out, trying to pump out.)
- move Chicken Coops close to the house
- clean/prep small waterers for animals
- stock firewood & starters (move some close to the house)
- propane, stove, table to back porch/deck
- do all laundry, bedding and towels
- Flannel: sheets & pajamas
- run dishwasher
- charge phones & computers
- charge batteries for flashlights
- buy: groceries, hot choc/tea/coffee/drinks
- open cabinets & drip faucets
- move Indoor Propane Heater & Propane tank inside
- move Propane Water Heater & Propane tank (to back porch/deck)
- lights “on” in attic & buddy heater on near water heater (we moved it to the garage in the remodel)
- gather: Tent, Sleeping Bags, Blankets, Bedding
- Hats, Gloves, Fleece Pants, Boots & coveralls for barn work
- switch to “Emer. Heat” on Heater and set to 58-64
- full bathtub for flushing toilets
- fill Berkey and water storage for drinking
- Food: Pre-Make Breakfast Cereal (Hot), Muffins, Soup for Lunches, Biscuits/Cornbread and Dinner for 3-5 days of Food
- Make Boiling Water and Coffee, every night (store in Thermos!) … just in case!
- Put a Little Flashlight by everyone’s bed
- Gather Games and Fun stuff!
Buy-To Get Things:
- Propane Stove/Oven (Coleman, Camp Chef)
- Rocket Stove
- Percolator Coffee Maker or Pour-Over
- Propane: Extras (refill 20# canisters)
- Gas (for generator)
- Little Flashlights for bedrooms
- Tent (for camping or indoor if needed)
- 4 Sleeping Bags (for camping or warmth)
- Flannel or Fleece Shirts/Zip-ups
- Indoor Propane Heater
- Silver Survival Sheets
- Duct Tape (to close off rooms) or Blue Painters Tape
- Paper: Plates, Bowls & Silverware
- 2, 1-gallon Stanley/Yetis for pre-made boiling water and coffee
- Sterilization Tabs (for drinking water or rinsing dishes)
- 2, 5-gallon buckets & bricks (septic covers)
- generator: propane/gas or solar (and inverter)
- solar power cell (4patriots) for charging phones/computers
- 3 hose bib covers
- water bob or water bricks for water storage
Feel free to chime in, What am I missing?
Tip: A Super fun thing to do with kids is to talk about ALL the ways you have to Cook food or Heat water!
I know LOTS of people don’t even know where to start. Here is a book I really like, why? Well, because Preparedness is MORE than just “food” … soooo much more! This book breaks it down into manageable steps, here’s a link for you = > https://amzn.to/3coS7j7